
2 Hours
Today was an extremely rewarding day in my learn and serve.I arrived at the school, not really wanting to be there since it was so early, and i had gone to bed late the night before. The kids were so excited to see me and I was greeted in a friendly way by the secretary the kids and the teacher. I noticed on the wall a new project the kids were working on. They are currenty learning about the 50 states. Each student was able to pick a state and fill out a worksheet about it. They then displayed it in the classroom when everyone was finished. When I arrived I was asked to help one of the students with a learning disability on her math worksheet which she was having trouble with. She was extremely frustrated because she didn't know how to do it, and was refusing my help. The students counselor came in to talk to her for a while in order to convince her i was only trying to help her understand the work. She finally agreed to meet with me. I helped her through the worksheet. When she was done she was so excited, she gave me a hug and thanked me. At that moment I realized why i was studying to become a teacher. You don't realize how much you really mean to a child until something as simple as a hug gets to you. I enjoyed the rest of the day. Following the students to gym, and playing basketball with them. I cant wait to go next week. I am so happy with my decision of becoming a teacher, it warms my heart when i get the chance to make the slightest difference in a child's life.
After I experienced this I realized how far society has come in respecting students with special needs. According to chapter 2 in the text, the new idea of education every child to his or her greatest potential is becoming rather popular and apparent in the everyday lives of the education system.
Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed. , p.37 ). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company

Hyperlink = weird
ReplyDeleteThis was very nice to read. I'm glad you are learning so much about teaching and yourself.
ReplyDelete