Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Learn and Serve #2 10/6

2 hours
My second day at learn and serve was a little quieter then my first day. There were only 3 kids in for the day then the usual 5. This classroom is very different from the other classrooms I am usually placed in. The style of teaching is alot different and more direct. Most often the students are given alot of worksheets and packets in which they need to get done during the day, while the teacher sits at her desk and does work or reads the newspaper. I find this a bit odd because I feel since these students need special attention the teacher should be that more interactive and helpful. I did alot of observing today, and helped the students cut out tracings of their feet and hands for a project they did about the body parts. They had recently returned from a trip from body worlds and were in the middle of learning about different body parts. The teacher had them trace there feet and hands. We taped all the feet and hands on a tracing of one of the kids bodies and then displayed it in the classroom.
During gym time one of the students had an episode. Apparently he went off on the gym teacher and started screaming out of now where. During the episode I was put in shock since I have never experience something quite like this. This type of behavior is new to me, because I have never been around special needs children and I was unaware of what to do. The teachers handled it in an orderly fashion and taught me how to calm the student down and to figure out his reasoning for lashing out. He was able to go talk to the counselor afterwards in order to calm him down for the rest of the day. These types of experiences help me to become more comfortable in the special education area.


According to the text in Chapter 6, their is sufficient evidence that counseling does not have an effect on antisocial or predeliquent teens. I disagree with this statement because after the student had his episode he immediately was able to go talk to the counselor. I feel as though these kids at my learn and serve just need someone to talk to, and lash out because they have a underlying problem, or they just want to be heard.
Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed. , pp. 194). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company

1 comment:

  1. Wow, just three students?
    Are you bored? overwhelmed? confused? I'm sure this must be a very new experience for you.
    What about these students do you think would make it possible for them to be in a least restrictive setting?
    When you write "an episode" what do you mean. Get specific, how long the behavior lasted, what set it off and how a teacher could have intervened without sending him to the counselor.
    Talk more about this kid - describe him, his strengths and weaknesses

    ReplyDelete