Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Class # 4 and Learn and Serve Day 1 9/29

"Junk Food" is an important environmental risk factor. Eating too much can affect ones weight, energy, and health. Foods such as chips and cookies should be avoided in order to lead a healthily and successful life.



Learn and Serve Day 1: 2 Hours
I was placed in Niagara Falls Alternative school in a resource room. I was extremely nervous about this setting because I have never dealt with students in an alternative setting. When I arrived at the school the secretary was extremely helpful and friendly, she helped to calm my nervous. I immediately could feel the friendly atmosphere from the staff. I was placed in a containment room with five special needs children, who were all welcoming. I had alot of fun getting to know the kids, helping them with there worksheets, and going to gym with them. I definitely cannot wait to go back next week, I was surprised by myself and how much I loved being in this setting and having one on one attention with the kids.

According to chapter one of the text (Kirk 2009) , it explains that each teacher whether special education or general education all need to be familiar with dealing with children with special needs and should be able to adapt their ways of teaching according to the needs of each child. This is becoming increasingly essential if any new teacher wants to teach.
I have five exceptional students in my learn and serve classroom. The term exceptional could include; mental characteristics, sensory abilities, communication abilities, behavior and emotional development and physical characteristics.

Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed. , pp. 3-5). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company

2 comments:

  1. Please edit for person-first language.
    Also - you reflected that you could "feel"
    This makes your blog reader friendly, so keep it up.
    To improve your writing, add-on to the "feel" part by describing the school itself. What about that space was comforting to you? Did it remind you of something? Did you notice kids were happy too? Why do you think this is? Is this place a teacher-centered school, or a student-centered school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems really short but idk and well you need a picture and a hyperlink for the learn and serve part... Also you need to make reference to the text...

    ReplyDelete