Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Learn and Serve # 4 10/27


2 Hours


Today in learn and serve only four of the five kids were there for the school day. The main teacher was also not there, so there was a substitute from another classroom who was helping out. When I walked into the door she seemed realived to see me, beacause she had no idea what she was doing. She had the kids working on a worksheet about Mexico. They had to label certain cities, and fill in the blank about the culture of it. Most of the kids understood it and didnt need help except for one student who needed alot of my attention. I am slowly learning how to help a child with his work without giving out the answer bluntly. I asked several questions to get him to start thinking about what the question was asking. It was tough at first but he finally got it.

The next item on the agenda that the teacher left behind for the sub was quiet reading time. During this time I got alot of complaints about the reading, and how the students didnt want to do it, but they wanted to watch TV instead. The kids have been reading these same books for a while now, trying to master all of the words and to read it out loud to the teacher with fluency. This I dont agree with because it is very repetitive and it seems like it is turning the studnet away from reading. I feel as though they need to be introduced to various types of literature throught thier childhood, even if they are in high school.
According to Chapter 4 in the text, it explains that assessments should take place in order to know the progress of learning the student had. This is important in reading because i know that all of the students in my classroom are at various levels. The teacher all has them read at a fourth grade level, but it is obvious thata few are stronger and some should be at a lower level.
Kirk S. , Gallagher J.J. , Coleman M.R. , & Anastasiow N. (2009). Educating Exceptional Children (12th ed. , p.132-133 ). Boston, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company

No comments:

Post a Comment